If you feel that your family could use a little more fitness in their lives, you aren’t alone. It’s recommended that adolescents aged 6 to 19 get at least 60 minutes of physical activity 5 days per week, but only 21.6% of kids actually meet that goal. Furthermore only 1 in 5 adults meet their physical activity guidelines of 150 minutes per week.
Parents can set the best examples for their children. If your kids see you exercise, they will follow your lead. Luckily summer is the perfect time to get outside and be active with your family. Commit to 1 hour of fitness fun a few times per week. Exercise won’t feel like a chore when you are also enjoying moments with your loved ones.
Why your family should get moving
There are so many great reasons to start exercising with your partner or children:
- It’s a great way to keep weight off. Since 70% of adults are overweight or obese, it is more important than ever to add physical fitness to your life.
- It lowers your risk for many diseases, including heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes, depression, and some cancers. It can also lead to lower bone density in children.
- It may help your kids be better students. Kids who exercise regularly tend to get better grades, behave better in school and have less absences.
- Exercise helps elevate your mood and nothing is better than a happy family.
- It’s fun!
Ways to exercise with your family
- Tour your neighborhood with a family walk or bike ride.
- Turn chores or yardwork into a dance party by making a collaborative family playlist.
- Plan a weekend trip to a zoo, aquarium or children’s museum—anywhere that you’ll spend most of the day on your feet and walking.
- Act like a kid. Play tag or climb on the jungle gym with your kids.
- Plan a game for summer family gatherings. Volleyball, badminton, wiffleball, touch football or kickball are all fun to play with a big group.
- Send your kids on a scavenger hunt.
- Spend some time in the water, whether it’s your own pool, a community center or a day at the beach.
Stay motivated with Be Well SHBP
Get credit for exercise by logging into BeWellSHBP.com and tracking your fitness. Throughout the year, you can enroll in walking and other fitness challenges. Earn a “green day” for each day that you engage in physical activity.
If you need even more ideas for how your family can live a healthier life, chat with one of our well-being coaches. They are available at no additional cost to Be Well SHBP members and their covered spouses and can help you come up with a fitness and diet plan that works for you.
To get started, visit BeWellSHBP.com and take the RealAge test, a scientifically-based online assessment that analyzes your health habits and history to determine your body’s real age compared to your calendar age. By taking the RealAge test, scheduling a biometric screening, talking with a well-being coach and recording Green Days, members and their spouses can earn incentive credits that may be used to offset certain medical and pharmacy costs.
NOTE: Actions must be completed and received by Sharecare by November 30, 2018 to be awarded incentive credits.
Get healthy today
For more suggestions on how to live a healthier life, find a well-being coach who can guide you to healthier habits and to take the RealAge Test, visit BeWellSHBP.com or call 888-616-6411.
Always consult your physician or other health care professional before starting this or any other fitness, nutrition and/or weight management program to determine if it is right for your needs. If it is medically inadvisable or unreasonably difficult for you to participate in this challenge, call Sharecare and we will develop another way for you to qualify for the reward.